The Philippines is a large chain of islands in the northern hemisphere off the coast of Southeast Asia. This island nation is home to hundreds of types of animals, plants, and cultures! If baby’s roots extend to one of the many beautiful islands, then a Filipino baby girl, boy, or gender-neutral name could be just what the doctor ordered.
What islands make up the Philippines?
This is a bit of a trick question! The Philippines consists of actually approximately 7,600 islands! These stunners are sights to behold, but only about 2,000 of them are called home, with approximately 5,000 of the islands remaining nameless. But rather than a list of 2,000 names, the Philippine islands are categorized into three major groups of islands: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. Some beloved destinations, though, are Batanes, Palawan, Siargao, Bohol, and Boracay. But besides these well-known islands, the Philippines take up a whopping 120,000 square mile area in the northern hemisphere.
What animals can you find in the Philippines?
Animals ranging from purely indigenous to farm animals call these islands home. From water buffalos, goats, hogs, deer, and horses on the ground to squirrels, monkeys, and lemurs in the trees, the Philippines’ biodiversity is definitively diverse! In addition to all of these wonderful creatures are the—perhaps lesser known—mongooses, pangolins, civet cats, and around 50 species of bats. These days you won’t find elephants, but once upon a time, they did roam these islands, according to some fossils dug up.
What cultures are found in the Philippines?
Given that there are approximately 2,000 inhabited islands within the Philippines, it’s no surprise that many cultures have thrived there. The largest ethnic groups found in the Philippines are Tagalog, Bisaya, Cebuano, Ilocano, Hiligaynon, Bicol, and Waray-Waray. However, that only makes up about 74% of the population, leaving around 26% of peoples to be from other, less prominent cultures. The Philippines is hugely diverse, with about 109 million people thriving there.